Why study TOP?
The Tertiary Orientation Preparation (TOP) program is a 5 week course for students who have a full offer from the University of New South Wales (UNSW). The course provides an introduction to the culture of tertiary study. It is designed to support your first Semester at UNSW and to provide an overview of the skills needed to succeed in your tertiary studies.
The course aims to help you:
- develop an understanding of learning in an Australian tertiary academic community
- make connections with peers
- work collaboratively in groups
- select, use and reference research resources appropriately
- develop critical evaluation skills
- develop an awareness of essay structure
- understand the features of an effective presentation
- understand your lecturers’ expectations
- recognise different assessment requirements
- Identifying specific information and supporting ideas
- Locating specific information in a text
- Developing comprehension skills
Dates and Fees
|Entry into UNSW||2019||2020||2021|
|Term 1||6 Jan - 7 Feb 2020||4 Jan - 5 Feb 2021|
|Term 2||20 Apr - 22 May 2020||19 Apr - 21 May 2021|
|Term 3||5 Aug - 6 Sep 2019||3 Aug - 4 Sep 2020||2 Aug - 3 Sep 2021|
|Fees||AUD $2,800||AUD $2,825|
You will be placed in an appropriate class based on a test score under the following conditions:
- IELTS, TOEFL and PTE tests must have been taken within 12 months of the enrolment date.
- If you have variations in test subscores, you may be assessed individually for placement and may require additional weeks of study.
- UNSW Global reserves the right to require you to undertake our placement test to confirm appropriate course placement.
- UNSW Global reserves the right to make changes to this course placement guide without notice.
- Progression into the next English course level depends on your achievement in course assessments. You may progress more quickly or slowly than the indication in weeks provided in this table.
- UNSW Global also accepts Cambridge Advanced English (CAE).
- Please note that Commonwealth financial support is not available for Non-Award programs including Global’s Foundation programs and all language courses