Why study EAE?
Develop your skills in:
- Academic writing and grammar skills
- Reading and research skills using academic texts
- Critical thinking
- Pronunciation and spoken English skills for presentations and academic discussion
- Academic listening and note taking skills
Classes may be scheduled in the morning or the afternoon at our Kensington or Randwick Campus
Morning class times: 9.00 - 11.00am and 11.30 am - 1.30pm
Afternoon class times: 1.30 - 3.30pm and 4.00 - 6.00pm
9:00am - 11.30am
Weekly Grammar and vocabulary review and short test
Language 1: Revising tenses and verb patterns-Present Simple
11:30am - 1:30pm
Writing Skills: Analysing simple sentence clause structure and preparing to write a biography
Alternative English test results accepted due to COVID-19
The following tests will be accepted for UNSW Global programs until further notice:
- IELTS Indicator and TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition will have the same entry requirements as those set for IELTS Academic and TOEFL iBT. Scroll down for entry requirements.
- Duolingo English Test will be accepted for applications from China and Iran. See entry requirements for Duolingo here.
- English Language Test scores and prior studies in English (including High School) will be accepted for tests completed no more than:
- Three years before the intended start date in Foundation Studies or Diploma program
- Two years before the intended start date in an English language course
|Test / Certificate||General requirement||Undergraduate: Medicine, Built Environment, Business & Law Postgraduate: Business & Law, Built Environment, Arts & Social Sciences|
|IELTS||5.0, Writing 5.0 (sub-scores 4.5)||5.5, Writing 5.5 (sub-scores 4.5)|
|TOEFL (paper)||483, TWE 4.0||513, TWE 4.0|
|TOEFL iBT (Internet)||56, Writing 14||65, Writing 18|
|Pearson Test of English||38, Writing 38||46, Writing 46|
|UNSW Global Programs||D, Wiriting D||D+, Writing D+|
|HKDSE English||2||2, Writing 3|
|Term 1||4 January - 12 March|
|Term 2||8 February - 16 April|
|Term 5||24 May - 30 July|
|Term 6||8 June - 3 September|
|Term 8||6 September - 12 November|
|Term 9||12 October - 18 December||11 October - 17 December|
* Price is indicative only
You will be placed in an appropriate class based on a test score under the following conditions:
- IELTS, TOEFL and PTE tests must have been taken within 12 months of the enrolment date.
- If you have variations in test sub-scores, you may be assessed individually for placement and may require additional weeks of study.
- UNSW Institute of Languages reserves the right to require you to undertake our placement test to confirm appropriate course placement.
- UNSW Institute of Languages reserves the right to make changes to this course placement guide without notice.
- Progression into the next English course level depends on your achievement in course assessments. You may progress more quickly or slowly than the indication in weeks provided in this table.
- UNSW Institute of Languages also accepts Cambridge Advanced English (CAE).
- Please note that Commonwealth financial support is not available for Non-Award programs including Global’s Foundation programs and all language courses